Monday, September 1, 2008

Theater Shows

One of my biggest hobbies, besides Civil War re-enacting, is musical theater. I was bitten by the bug in college and have since gone on to do several shows. I love the excitement of live theater, because every night is different: the audience response (or sometimes lack thereof) has a direct bearing on the outcome, and when everything is working, the atmosphere can be positively electric. You can feel the energy in the air, and the actors and audience feed off each other to create something magical. It always happens at least once per show when it all comes together, and those are the moments you live for.

I am not, however, much of an actor. My role has been that of musician: playing piano and keyboards, being rehearsal accompanist, and even leading the band during the show. Sometimes I have had small speaking roles as character of "Band Member" but only once have I had an actual cast part. The vain side of me (and don't we all have one?) loves to see my name in print, whether in the cast list, band list, or anything else, and when it's in the program more than once, well, even better.

So here is my history of shows I have done over the years:

Godspell: My first experience with musical theater. Incredibly fun.
Smoke on the Mountain: Not only played, but acted and sang.
Bye Bye Birdie: First time with a high school drama production (and first as a paid professional).
Lucky Stiff: Was the entire 'orchestra' (meaning: only musician). Very funny show.
Evita: Possibly my most challenging show (again, the only musician, so I had to try to play every part), but also one of the most rewarding and still one of my favorites.
Cabaret: Very intimate setting (small stage, two musicians) for the Empty Space theater. My first show that wasn't a high school or college production.
High Society: First show with Stars Theatre, a local musical theater company. Every show I've done since (except one) has been with this group.
Buddy: Based on the life of Buddy Holly, this one stretched my rock-and-roll chops.
La Cage aux Folles: Loved everything about this one. It ran for only four weekends, but we could have done it for six months.
Cats: Musically, this one was a bit strange in a few places, but visually, it was amazing. Played one of three keyboard parts with a full orchestra.
Brigadoon: After the challenge of Cats, this was a simpler role for me: I basically played the bass part on a synthesizer and added a few sound effects here and there.
Baby: Filled in 'missing' parts on keyboard and essentially created my own arrangement to support everything the piano was doing.

Some other shows that I've seen (either live or on film) that I would love to play for: Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, My Fair Lady, Chess, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. If any of these shows comes to town, I want to be there. (In fact, Jennifer and I are going to see Chicago next weekend. But it's a touring group, so I'm not playing for it. Maybe next time.)

No comments: