Thursday, September 11, 2008

Drama with the Kids

Usually when I come home from work, I have one or both kitties meet me at the front door, eagerly awaiting dinner and a little love (though the love mostly comes after the food). So today when I walk through the door and the house is silent, I find it a little strange. "Are they both asleep?" I think. But that hasn't happened before, because they are light sleepers and will wake up as soon as they hear one of us drive up.

So I continue through the living room and into the hallway. This is when I notice the door closed to our back bedroom, which we use as our office. This door is never closed, because we keep the cats' litter box there. Fearing the obvious, as I make my way down the hall, I see a shadow move under the door.

Sure enough, I open the door and BOTH cats come running out. How long they had been confined there, I will never know. It could have been for just a few minutes, but more likely it was several hours. At least they had access to the litter box and didn't leave a mess on the floor, but that long with no food or water (we keep those in the kitchen) and two big cats in a small space, who don't particularly like to be near each other, must have made for a difficult afternoon. I hope for their sake that they mostly slept the time away and didn't fight.

One whole year in this house, and that's a first. But knowing it's happened once, we may have to start using a doorstop so it doesn't happen again. This is especially true when we leave for the weekend.

I felt bad for them, but at the same time it's kind of funny. Makes you wonder what their story is. If only our pets could talk...

No comments: