Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thank goodness for ceramic!

In my Total Health Breakthroughs e-newsletter a couple weeks ago they gave a great recipe for Blackberry Souffle. It was great as it uses xylitol and stevia, both natural sugar substitutes.

We had guests coming over last Sunday to watch the Oscars so I wanted to try out the recipe as it seemed easy enough. So we took a trip to Williams-Sonoma (great store!) and picked up six ceramic ramekins - what the recipe called for.

I cooked the blackberries and Jeff helped with the lemon zest and juice. Mixing everything together, I spooned out the ricotta and egg mixture into the ramekins. They were quite full! Ok. Well, we'll see how they turn out.

They nearly overflowed after the first 15 min. baking. I had to spoon out some of the mixture so I could top them with the blackberry compote and bake another 15 minutes.

And then - well, let's just say I'm glad they were on a cookie sheet in the oven or I'd have to buy an oven over cleaning the thing.

Ta-Da! Exploded Blackberry Souffle.

But they tasted wonderful.
And were very filling with 15 grams protein and 3 grams fiber but with only 6 grams of sugar.

Thank goodness the ramekins were ceramic as I worried how many hours I'd have to soak and scrub them to get them clean. They actually cleaned up quite quickly.

No comments: