Monday, December 15, 2008

2nd Vermont's Christmas Party

My Civil War reenactment group meets every December at the home of one of our officers for dinner, the election of our officers and board members, and a gift exchange. It is always a good time and worth the 2-hour drive to Ventura County.

After two seasons serving as corporal for the group, I have been promoted to sergeant for the upcoming year. So now Jennifer has yet another sewing project--this time adding a third stripe to my uniform sleeves. I actually had an opportunity to step in as 2nd lieutenant, but I decided that was too big of a jump too soon. Besides, officers carry pistols and sabers, while sergeants still carry rifles, which are more fun to shoot and make a bigger bang. Someday I would like to be an officer, but not just yet.

The dinner, as usual, was fabulous -- ham, quiche, homemade biscuits, and vegetables, with chocolate trifle and peanut butter fudge for dessert. Many thanks to our captain's wife for her excellent culinary skills and graciously hosting more than 30 people for the afternoon.

The gift exchange is always a high point too. Unlike the 'white elephant' gift parties where people often get stuck with something less desirable, our group tries to contribute gifts that will be appreciated by many (and thus frequently 'stolen' in the game). The most popular items are new Civil War books, fine spirits, and sweets...not necessarily in that order. I initially opened a hand-knitted wool scarf, but that was taken from me almost right away, and by the time I had the chance to steal it back, it had been won. When all the dust had settled, Jennifer took home a book on women soldiers in the war (and yes, they did exist), while I grabbed a box of See's candy.

My thanks once again to our captain and his family for being such great hosts. We look forward to another great season!

No comments: