Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election thoughts from a reenactor


I'm a American Civil War reenactor. So I study and present to the public a period in time that gave colored men suffrage (the right to vote). It would be another 56 years til women gained that right in 1919.

So here we are 145 years later and the country has seen the election of a black man to the office of US President.

I have mixed feelings about this. The President-elect was not my candidate of choice (and even then I had to warm up to him as no one in my party excited me.) I don't have happy thoughts for the future administration, but I MUST give my respect to the President and anyone who volunteers for the job of US President. He deserves the respect of all Americans even if he does not sit well in their eyes.

However, on the other hand, why participate in a hobby that demonstrates the past that our modern country has built upon if not to one day see a black man or a woman (of any color) ascend to that pinnacle of US politics. I have to support it; otherwise my hobby has no validation.

So this historic time (2008) I can put down myself as someone who saw the advancement of our society and our constitution at work. Now onto getting a woman in there....

If it took 145 years for a black man, I hope we don't have to wait another 56 years (to equal 145) to see a woman at the top.

No comments: